New Roof for Woolmers Pumphouse
historic Pumphouse building at the World Heritage Listed Convict Site Woolmers Estate has received new roof
cladding and structural repairs.
Pumphouse is a Gothic style building with pointed arch openings, wide eaves
supported on timber brackets and fretted barge boards, built c1840. It is
sited in a prominent location when approaching Woolmers from Longford, beside
the Macquarie River. The building retains its original horse drawn iron
pump machinery, manufactured by Braithwaite, Miller & Co., London. It
was still in use during the 1890s, but was replaced by the timber windmill by
1921” (Source; Woolmers, Longford, Conservation Management Plan, Clive Lucas
Stapleton & Partners Pty Ltd 2009).
Pumphouse building had an asbestos tile roof that was installed in place of the
traditional timber shingles c1950.
asbestos tiles have been removed and replaced with a new folded tray galvanised
sheet roofing typical of other roof treatments within the Woolmers
Estate. The galvanised material was chosen as a sympathetic alternative
to the traditional timber shingles given the inability to source traditional
shingles of sufficient quality to ensure the long-term protection of the
works have been jointly funded between the Australian Government’s Protecting
National Historic Sites 2014-15 Programme, and the Tasmanian Government’s
Tasmanian World Heritage Convict Sites Assistance Initiative (2014-15).
Image: Pete Smith