Eighty years after the Mount Paris Dam was first commissioned it
continues to stand, serving as a monument to an industry that helped shape
Built using the buttress and slab construction method, it remains
the only one of its type in Tasmania, and one of only a handful in the country. Its significance and rarity is acknowledged with a permanent entry on the Tasmanian Heritage Register.
built to supply the Mount Paris Tin Mine with water using a water race, the dam
held 1300 mega litres when full, and covered approximately 21 Hectares.
Work on the dam started in 1935 and was completed in less
than year in 1936. Almost all the work was done by hand – including the mixing
of all the concrete off site, before carting it in wheelbarrows to the construction site.
Approximately 70 men were working on the dam at the height
of its construction. Those who were married were offered camping with their
families at a nearby picnic site. Simple huts were provided onsite for single
There was public outcry when, at the end of the 20th
century, it was suggested the dam be dismantled.
The community is again rallying to ensure the dam continues
to stand now and into the future. There will be a BBQ and fundraiser marking
the 80th anniversary milestone. Funds raised will be used for
maintenance to the dam.
The fundraiser will be on 8 September 2016 at 10:30am –
1:00pm off the Mount Paris Road. For further details please call Rosie
Davenport on 0419 563 952.
Thank you to Stephen Pryor for the historic image.