Conserving the Boags Malt Kiln
The historic malt kiln at Launceston's Boags Brewery in William Street is undergoing some much needed maintenance work.
The brewery has appointed Past and Present Traditional Builders to repoint the historic brick facade, and repair selected areas of brickwork that have decayed after years of exposure.
Located on William Street, the brick wall was originally tuck-pointed. The lime mortar and tuck-pointing have eroded and exposed the brick joints to further decay. Areas of modern cement mortar are being removed, and replaced with traditional lime mortar coloured with red pigment to match the original pointing. White lime pointing is not being applied at this stage.
The works are required to consolidate the brick construction and prevent the further erosion of this significant historic building façade.
Research completed by historian Jai Paterson reveals that "although their new malt house and kiln has '1881' carved onto its front, it was actually completed in March 1887. The Launceston Examiner reported that '… A new building has been erected, running from the William Street frontage nearly 50 yards back towards the wharf, and consists of a malt-house, malt-kiln, and grain store. The front aspect in William-street is striking and novel, the style of architecture being of the Queen Anne period. Molded bricks are used in this portion of the edifice, with freestone centre arch and pinnacles, the frontage being ornamented with [figures] of St. George and the dragon in freestone, and the name of the firm – J. Boag and Son, 1881, the year the firm commenced business – the whole being crowned with a cowl of imposing dimensions'."