Arts Centre Pays Tribute to the Past
A Hedberg Trading Token found during archaeological investigations
Hobart's new Centre for Creative Industries and Performing Arts will be officially known as The Hedberg, paying tribute to the
early 20th Century garage located at the site.
As work continues on the site, archaeological investigations have uncovered more stories from the past, including a Hedberg Trading Token relating to the family's earliest links to the site. The excavations have also revealed building deposits relating to the Colonial Secretary's occupation of a two-storey building. During this period of occupation, the building was extended, eventually being sold in around 1837 and becoming the Shakespeare Hotel.
Steps and other building remains of the Shakespeare Hotel.
When finished, the Centre will be bookended by the retained and refurbished two storey component of the Hedberg Garage on one side, and the heritage of the Theatre Royal on the other. A glazed section of the new facade will both connect and clearly separate the modern structure from the Theatre, complementing and enhancing its heritage values. The result will be a dynamic new building that respects the significant archaeology and architecture of the site, and delivers improved front and back of house amenities for the Theatre Royal.
The Tasmanian Heritage Council approved the first stages of works in 2014, and the second stage of works in 2016.
The project is being delivered in partnership between the Tasmanian Government, the University of Tasmania and the Theatre Royal.